On the list of life's indulgent pleasures, wine and ice cream are crave-worthy additions. So why not enjoy these two greats together? The right pair can be a love match, making a sweet finish to a meal even more satisfying.
Wine and Ice Cream Alchemy
If you've ever spooned up an affogato, an espresso-and-ice-cream dessert, you know how delicious the pairing of bitter and acidic with creamy and sweet can be. Sipping wine while eating ice cream has a similar effect: The wine’s acidity cuts through the ice cream's indulgent butterfat, balancing both sides of the equation and opening up the palate to even more flavor nuances.
Pairings to Try
Double your fun and try pairing wines with some of your favorite varieties of Publix Premium Ice Cream. Start with one of these delightful flavor recommendations:
- Peach and Dry Riesling: The crisp citrus and floral notes of an aromatic riesling aren't too acidic to go toe-to-toe with sweet, juicy peach flavors.
- Vanilla and Sweet Riesling: A riper riesling brings out the subtle oaky undertones found in vanilla beans, adding depth to the iconic and buttery ice cream.
- Strawberry and Rosé: Juicy and not too tannic, a chilled, full-bodied rosé balances the delicate tartness of summer's most succulent berries.
- Chocolate and a Red Blend: For a tried-and-true duo, keep your wine choices on the fruity side, as rich chocolate goes with anything from cabernet sauvignon to merlot to Rhône blends.
- GreenWise Organic Salted Caramel and an organic sparkling white wine: Bubbles are a refreshing counterpoint to the rich mouthfeel of salted caramel.
Ready to take your wine and ice cream pairings to the next level? Churn up a batch of homemade ice cream with our sinfully rich recipes, then grab a glass and a spoon.
Ice Cream & Shiraz
Recipe: Rich Chocolate-Mint Ice Cream
Dark, slightly bitter chocolate and smoky, peppery shiraz are a powerful pairing on their own—adding cool mint candies helps balance out the wine's powerful spice.
Ice Cream & Sparkling White Wine
Recipe: Homemade Honey and Toffee Ice Cream
Pairing: Sparkling White Wine
Whether it's dry or sweet, a classic sparkler hits all the right notes when paired with this complex ice cream. Sparkling wine's versatile charms go equally well with sweet honey, salty toffee, and earthy dates.
Ice Cream Mix-In
Looking for a fun twist to add to your favorite ice cream? Pour Mü Coffeehouse Cocktails over ice cream for a refreshing treat. This cocktail mix has a flavorless wine base and comes in flavors including cappuccino, vanilla latte, and chocolate chai.
Publix promotes responsible drinking and supports efforts to fight alcohol abuse and underage drinking. Please visit the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility at www.responsibility.org for more information.