Maple-Glazed Turkey Roast
Grilling your turkey is an easy, practical solution when you need to free up oven
space for other dishes. Try our Maple-Glazed Turkey Roast for
simply delicious boneless grilled turkey. Or use the maple glaze for
grilling a whole turkey.
When grilling turkey, remember these basic tips:
- Rub spices onto the surface of the turkey prior to grilling.
- Grill whole turkeys, breasts, and boneless roasts over medium indirect heat.
- Cover the grill to hold in the heat.
- Wait to apply sweet glazes until the final 30 minutes of grilling so they don’t burn.
- Test the turkey with a thermometer to make sure it reaches a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 F.
- Boil any remaining glaze before serving with the turkey.
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Grill: 2 hours Stand: 15 min.
||clove garlic, minced
||tablespoon snipped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
||teaspoon black pepper
||cup orange juice
||cup maple syrup
||teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
||2½-to-3½ pound boneless turkey roast
||tablespoons butter, melted
*For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING:
- Combine garlic, marjoram, salt, and pepper; set aside. For glaze, in a small saucepan combine the orange juice and cornstarch; add half of the seasoning mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir in maple syrup and orange peel; set aside.
- Brush roast with melted butter; rub with remaining seasoning mixture. Insert a meat thermometer near the center of the roast.
- For a charcoal grill arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan.* Test for medium heat
above the pan. Place the turkey roast directly on the grill rack over the pan. Cover;
grill for 2 to 2½ hours (until the thermometer registers 165°F). Every 30 minutes add
coals to maintain heat. Brush with glaze the last 30 minutes of grilling. Remove turkey
from the grill. Cover with foil; let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Bring any remaining
glaze to a rolling boil, then pass with turkey.
361 cal., 9 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 164 mg chol., 212 mg sodium, 14 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 53 g pro.
Grilling a Whole Turkey
To glaze a whole turkey, prepare Maple-Glazed Turkey Roast recipe
except use an 8- to 10-pound whole turkey in place of the turkey roast. Remove the neck and giblets from
the turkey. Skewer the neck skin to the back. Twist the wing tips under the back. Tuck the drumsticks
under the band of skin across the tail or tie legs to tail with 100-percent-cotton string. Note:
recommended to only grill unstuffed turkeys.
Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer deep into
the center of the thigh muscle without touching the bone. Brush the turkey with butter; rub with
remaining seasoning mixture. Grill for 2½ to 3 hours or until the thermometer registers 165°F.
Brush with glaze the last 30 minutes of grilling. Before using any remaining glaze, bring it to a
rolling boil, and then serve it with the turkey.