Patriotic Picnics Back to Event Details
Add spark to your summer with fun-filled picnics commemorating Memorial Day, the Fourth of July and Labor Day. These tips lend a star-spangled vibe to the festivities:
Setting the Scene
Though fireworks don't start until dark, kick off your picnic with a bang:
- Create flag-shape invitations from craft sticks. Paint alternating sticks red and white, then glue the sticks together side-by-side. Glue a blue star-studded square in the top left corner and three plain sticks on the back for support. Write the picnic details on the red and white sticks with a black marker.
- Use red, white and blue bandannas for napkins.
- Tie streamers in patriotic colors between trees.
- Stick small flag picks into meats, cheeses and other savories from your neighborhood Publix.
To ensure you're set for a fun-filled day, pack these essentials:
- Fill your picnic basket and coolers with plenty of ice, food and beverages from your neighborhood Publix.
- Bring folding tables to make buffet setup simple.
- Remember a plastic disc, bocce ball and croquet sets or other lawn game equipment.
- Have guests bring their own lawn chairs if seating is an issue.
When you've finished your picnic lunch, gather the gang for an afternoon of simple, summer-inspired festivities:
- Make bubble wands by bending long pieces of wire into star shapes. Use a star-shape cookie cutter as your guide. Secure the ends of the wand together with pliers to avoid pointy edges.
- Put a twist on traditional egg relays with hard-boiled eggs dyed red and blue.
- Cool down with a sundae bar that features a red-white-and-blue theme. Provide vanilla ice cream, blueberries, strawberries, marshmallow creme, whipped cream and other toppings.