Practical Experience For Culinary Students
Publix offers students in culinary arts programs an opportunity to get on-the-job experience in baking, cake decorating, meat cutting or deli preparations. Culinary internships are provided to students who:
Culinary interns usually work part-time since they are in school. The internships last between 10 and 24 weeks, depending on the academic needs of the student.
- are actively enrolled in the culinary arts program at any of the schools listed below,
- have completed certain courses,
- are recommended by their Culinary Arts Program instructors
- seek experience in a skill area needed by one of our stores, and
- seem promising to store managers who interview them.
Interns who excel are almost always offered employment at Publix once the internship ends – and nearly all of them accept that offer. By then, the interns understand the earning possibilities in our skilled positions, the tremendous benefits of being owners of the company, and the management opportunities that await.
Our academic partners
Publix closely evaluates schools that want to participate in our culinary internship program. We want our academic partners to hold the same high standards we do. For that reason, we prefer to work with schools that have culinary arts programs accredited by the American Culinary Federation. However, we are open to working with other programs if they have an accredited sanitation program such as Serv Safe and teachers certified by the American Culinary Federation.
These are our current academic partners:
Other schools that want to become one of Publix's culinary internship partners should contact one of the following Retail Staffing Specialists:
- For schools in Alabama, Tennessee, and the bulk of Georgia and South Carolina, contact email@example.com.
- For schools along the West Coast of Florida from Marco Island to Crystal River and inland to Lakeland, Kissimmee, and St. Cloud, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For schools in Central Florida from Orlando to Daytona Beach, in North Florida from the Panhandle to Jacksonville, and in South Georgia, contact email@example.com.
- For schools in the Southeast Florida counties of Broward, Dade, Indian River, Martin, Monroe, Okeechobee, Palm Beach, and St. Lucie, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If a culinary arts student completes a Publix internship and accepts a job offer with our company, he or she may apply for tuition reimbursement for any remaining courses needed to complete a culinary certification or degree. In some cases, tuition assistance is available during the internship.
Culinary students may apply for any of these positions:
All interns are paid at least $9 an hour.
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for a culinary internship at Publix, speak with your instructor to determine if you have completed the required courses. If you have completed those courses, you will need a recommendation from the department head of your school's Culinary Arts Program. Your school will know how to contact Publix once that recommendation has been written.
We also have opened three Publix GreenWise Markets in Florida – in Boca Raton, Palm Beach Gardens, and Tampa, with more to come. There will be plenty of opportunities for those with culinary expertise. Learn more about employment possibilities in this exciting new shopping environment.