Manager Health & Welfare Benefits
Administering benefit plans requires knowledge of a whole gaggle of acronyms such as ERISA, HIPAA, FMLA, and COBRA. These strange-sounding words make perfect sense to our Manager Health & Welfare Benefits, who plays a major role in managing Publix's Group Benefits Plans.
The Manager Health & Welfare Benefits develops the communications that help associates understand the intricacies of these plans, particularly in preparation for the annual open enrollment period. But this manager is also heavily involved in the design and administration of those plans as well as the coordination of relationships with third party vendors. The Manager Health & Welfare Benefits supervises the Health Benefits Specialist and the Voluntary Benefits Specialist.
Qualifications we look for
- Bachelor's Degree in a field applicable to the primary responsibilities of this position (i.e., health care administration or business administration)
- Management-level experience working directly with a benefits consulting firm or with plan administration and design for a private company similar in size to Publix
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) certification or Certification as a Group Benefits Associate (GBA)
- Ability to interpret and apply legal documents, regulations and government legislation
- Ability to review and draft third-party vendor contracts
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with diverse groups of people
- Knowledge of various laws and regulations which may affect the administration of the welfare benefit plans, including Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act (WHCRA), Newborns' and Mothers' Health Protection Act (NMHPA), Qualified Medical Child Support Orders (QMCSO), Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 125, IRC Section 79, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Medicare Secondary Payer regulations, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) regulations, Uniformed Services Employees Rights and Reemployment Act (USERRA) and Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA)
- Knowledge of SAP-based Human Resources and Benefits Administration Information Systems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Project, Excel, Access, including the ability to create databases, user forms, Open Database Connectivity ((ODBC)) links and queries)
- Knowledge of project management and quality improvement principles
- Knowledge of basic financial principles
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize workload
- Ability to think creatively when reviewing procedures and work-studies
- Ability to protect extremely confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to work occasional evenings, weekends and overnight travel as required
- Ability to work well with others and to be an effective team member
- Obvious enthusiasm, initiative and pride in work
How To Apply
Please go to www.publix.jobs/support
to see our current openings. Click "YES" or "NO" to the question, "Are you an active Publix associate?" Then narrow your search by choosing Benefits Administration within the Functional Area selection box.
When you apply, your information will be sent directly to the appropriate hiring manager. If your skills and experience seem to match the qualifications of the position that interests you, you will be contacted for an interview and possibly for testing customized to that position.
If you have any questions about our application process, please call our Employment Office in Lakeland (863-688-7407, ext. 32504) or Atlanta (770-995-0073, ext. 2153).