Attention to detail is particularly important for Meat Cutters because Publix has high standards of food safety, associate safety and product quality.
We have hundreds of meat cutters in our stores across Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee. They are devoted to providing the best customer service and the highest product quality possible. Without our Meat Cutters, our stores wouldn't be the caliber of supermarket our customers have come to expect. This means cutting a wide variety of meats according to company policy and according to customer preferences.
We continually have openings for Meat Cutters, both for those who want to work fulltime and for those who would prefer a part-time schedule. The pay range for Meat Cutters varies by region but is generally $10.50 an hour to $16.50 an hour for fulltime associates and $9.50 an hour to $15.00 an hour for part-time associates.
- Starting pay rates depend on a meat cutter's knowledge and previous experience. Future pay increases are based on performance.
- Eligible Meat Cutters also earn quarterly bonuses based on their store's performance. Eligibility is based on hours worked.
- In addition, they earn a year-end bonus paid in December in appreciation for their work during the year. For full-time Meat Cutters, the bonus in the first year and second year is usually equal to one week's pay if the associate remains employed through Dec. 31. In subsequent years, the bonus is usually equal to two weeks' pay. For part-time Meat Cutters, the bonus is equal to four hours of pay when an associate joins Publix prior to July 1. There is no bonus in the first year for associates hired after July 1. In subsequent years, the bonus is equal to eight hours' pay if the associate remains employed through Dec. 31.
For a list of the eight main reasons Publix is a great place to work: Why Publix.
For a full list of benefits offered to Publix associates: Benefits.
A Meat Cutter's responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing premier customer service
- Cutting and preparing all varieties and cuts of meat, including the safe operation of tools
- Helping to verify and unload meat deliveries from trucks
- Maintaining, filling and rotating product in meat cases
- Moving meat from coolers to cutting area and returning meat to coolers
- Training other associates as needed
- Maintaining Publix's high standards for product guidelines in sanitation, freshness, trim and cutting
- Cleaning equipment
- Assisting in other duties as assigned
The required qualifications are as follows:
- 18 years of age or older
- previous meat-cutting experience
- able and willing to read, write and perform simple math problems
- able and willing to deliver friendly, courteous, prompt customer service
- able and willing to interpret, understand and follow instructions and solve problems
- able and willing to work well with others as a team member
We prefer to hire individuals who have a passion for people, in other words those who greatly enjoy serving others. Previous experience at Publix is also a plus.
A Meat Cutter's duties are performed primarily in the cutting room with the temperature ranging from 40 to 50 degrees at all times. Work includes lifting and carrying product weighing up to 110 pounds, repetitive arm and hand movements, eye-hand coordination, substantial hand strength, and standing in place for long periods of time.
How To Apply
To learn about current Meat Cutter opportunities and how to apply for them:
- By Email: Please email us at email@example.com and specify what locations you are interested in. A Retail Staffing Specialist will contact you if you are qualified for the position and will check on openings in that area.
- In Person: If you are visiting a store where you would like to work, please ask the Meat Manager if there are openings available. If so, you will need to apply at the Job Application Center in the store, an automated kiosk that the Meat Manager can direct you to. If there are no openings in that store and you would be interested in working at another store, you still should apply at the Job Application Center in the store where you first go. Managers at other stores will see your application and call you if they have openings, if you are qualified, and if your hours of availability match their needs. You might also ask the Meat Manager at that store if he or she knows of meat cutter openings at nearby stores.