Herb Chicken With Red Pepper Coulis
8–10 fresh basil leaves (rinsed)
15–16 fresh oregano leaves (rinsed)
10–12 fresh Italian parsley sprigs (rinsed)
10–12 sprigs fresh thyme (rinsed)
1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/3 cup pre-diced onions
1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers (drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup silken tofu
2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Remove any tough stems from fresh herbs; chop leaves coarsely and place in small bowl. Mix until well blended. Place one-half of the herbs on a plate (may be paper); reserve other one-half for sauce.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season chicken with salt and pepper; then dip chicken into herbs, coating both sides (wash hands).
- Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken, garlic, and onions (wash hands); reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 6–7 minutes, without turning chicken; stir onions occasionally. While chicken cooks, slice peppers into thin strips.
- Turn chicken; stir in peppers. Cover and cook 4–7 minutes, stirring peppers (only) occasionally, or until internal temperature of chicken is 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness.
- Remove chicken from pan; cover to keep warm. Transfer pepper mixture and remaining ingredients (including reserved herbs) to food processor (or blender). Blend 10–15 seconds or until smooth. Slice chicken and serve with sauce.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 280kcal; FAT 8g; CHOL 110mg; SODIUM 360mg; CARB 8g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 41g; VIT A 45%; VIT C 80%; CALC 6%; IRON 15%
Orange Fennel Salad
5 oz chopped hearts of romaine lettuce (1/2 bag)
1 fennel bulb (thoroughly rinsed)
2 navel oranges (rinsed)
1 lemon (for juice, rinsed)
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5–6 sprigs fresh thyme (rinsed)
- Place lettuce in salad bowl. Trim fennel. Trim stalks to within one inch of bulb; cut a slice off bottom of bulb. Cut bulb in half lengthwise; discard any blemished outer stalks and tough inner core. Slice one-half of the fennel thinly; add to salad (reserve other half for another use).
- Cut peel and white pith away from oranges; separate orange sections (removing seeds and membranes, as needed) and add to salad.
- Squeeze juice of lemon (2 tablespoons) into small bowl. Whisk in remaining ingredients (except thyme). Whisk in thyme, leaves only.
- Add dressing to salad; toss gently and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 180kcal; FAT 14g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 200mg; CARB 15g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 60%; VIT C 100%; CALC 8%; IRON 10%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan with lid
- food processor (or blender)
- 2 small bowls, salad bowl
- plate (may be paper), tongs
- whisk, cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Sliced almonds can be added to the salad for additional flavor and crunch.
Recipe Version 04/08-0095