Southwestern Chicken Salad
2 cups refrigerated cooked chicken (or leftover rotisserie chicken)
8 slices precooked bacon
1 small red onion
4 teaspoons green onion (optional)
4 cups romaine lettuce
1 cup grape tomatoes
olive oil cooking spray
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
1/2 ounce blue corn tortilla chips
4 teaspoons pimento (optional)
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse and peel red onion, cut in half and slice into 1/2-inch strips (about 1/2 cup).
- Spray sauté pan with cooking spray. Add onion, cover and brown thoroughly for 7-9 minutes, stirring often. Place onions in medium mixing bowl and set aside for 2-3 minutes to cool.
- Cut chicken and bacon into 1/2-inch chunks and add to onions.
- Stir mayonnaise and barbecue sauce into chicken.
- Rinse lettuce, green onions and tomatoes. Line serving plates with lettuce leaves. Place blue corn chips around outside edge of plate (or crumble chips over lettuce). Place chicken salad in center of each plate. Sprinkle with pimentos.
- Cut green onions into 1/4-inch slices, using up to 1 inch of green tops. Sprinkle over chicken salad.
- Cut avocado lengthwise into quarters. Remove seed and peel. Slice into bite-size chunks. Place avocado and tomatoes around chicken salad. Serve.
Calories 351kcal; Fat 21g; Cholesterol 75mg; Carbohydrate 14g; Fiber 3g; Protein 27g; Sodium 405mg
Daily Values: Vitamin A 43%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 5%; Iron 12%
To speed up the time it takes to make the salad, leave out the onion.