1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, finely grated
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup sesame oil
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Large zip-top bag
2 lb beef flank steak
- Chop garlic.
- Peel ginger using edge of a spoon to scrape off the skin; grate ginger very finely, then measure.
- Place all ingredients (except steak) in zip-top bag; seal bag and squeeze to blend mixture. Add steak to bag; seal bag tightly and let stand 10 minutes (or overnight) to marinate.
- Preheat grill pan (or grill) on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place steak in grill pan (or on grill), reserving marinade; grill 5-6 minutes on each side, turning often, or until steak is 145°F (for medium rare).
- Place reserved marinade in small saucepan and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 2-3 minutes until sauce begins to thicken and reduces by about one-half. Remove steaks from grill; let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Slice meat diagonally against the grain; drizzle with sauce. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 390kcal; FAT 23g; CHOL 85mg; SODIUM 830mg; CARB 11g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 32g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; CALC 6%; IRON 15%
Cucumber Carrot Salad
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 large cucumber, peeled, thinly sliced
1 cup matchstick carrots
1/2 cup presliced green onions
- Whisk chili sauce and vinegar in medium bowl until blended.
- Peel cucumber; cut in half lengthwise and slice. Add cucumber and remaining ingredients to sauce mixture; toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 70kcal; FAT 0g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 370mg; CARB 15g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 1g; VIT A 110%; VIT C 10%; CALC 2%; IRON 2%
- Complete your meal with Asian dumplings and carrot cake for dessert.
- Reducing sauces or marinades creates a richer, more intense flavor.
Recipe Version beef0102