Pork and Apple Chutney
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
3 teaspoons apple pie spice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 pork loin or crown roast (8-10 lb)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 large Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup dried mixed berries (or cranberries)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (or apple cider)
Juice of 2 limes (2 tablespoons)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine chili powder, Italian seasoning, apple pie spice, and salt. Coat pork with 2 tablespoons oil; season on all sides with 3 tablespoons seasoning mix. Place pork in roasting pan (wash hands); cook 30 minutes to brown roast.
- Reduce heat to 350°F; roast 1 1/4 hours or until pork is 145°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Transfer roast to cutting board; let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Prepare chutney while pork stands. Cut apples into small cubes (about 3 cups). Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Place remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan, then add apples and remaining 2 teaspoons seasoning mixture; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in sugar, berries, and vinegar; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by one-half and apples are tender. Squeeze limes for juice; add to sauce. Slice pork and serve with sauce.
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 380kcal; FAT 15g; CHOL 95mg; SODIUM 300mg; CARB 23g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 37g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 6%; CALC 6%; IRON 8%
Sweet Potatoes With Candied Bacon
4 medium microwave-ready sweet potatoes
3 slices thick-cut bacon
1 (3-oz) package shallots, thinly sliced
1 cup pecan halves
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup semi-soft garlic/herb cheese, crumbled
- Microwave sweet potatoes on HIGH 8-10 minutes until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium 1-2 minutes. Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces and place in pan; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until lightly crisp. Meanwhile, slice shallots, then add to bacon; cook 1-2 more minutes or until tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in pecans and sugar; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until evenly coated. Remove from heat; let stand to cool.
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch-thick slices; arrange in overlapping layers (shingle) in 13- x 9-inch serving dish. Top with bacon mixture and cheese; serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 370kcal; FAT 28g; CHOL 25mg; SODIUM 200mg; CARB 27g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 6g; VIT A 280%; VIT C 20%; CALC 6%; IRON 8%
- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend, croissants, and pumpkin pie for dessert.
- You can also cook the sweet potatoes whole, then pinch the center open and add toppings individually.
Recipe Version pork0093