Caribe-Style Plantains With Shrimp
7 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
5 slices bacon
4 cups frozen pre-fried plantains (tostones), about 1 lb
3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (8-oz) container trinity mix
1 lb cooked shrimp (thawed; tails off)
1 cup sofrito
- Line a medium bowl with plastic wrap.
- Chop garlic. Cut bacon into bite-size pieces (wash hands).
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 1–2 minutes. Place bacon in pan; cook 5–6 minutes or until crisp. Place tostones in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 3–4 minutes or until thawed and warm.
- Transfer tostones to food processor with bacon (including bacon fat), 1 tablespoon garlic, 3 tablespoons oil, salt, and pepper; process until smooth. Transfer tostone mixture to bowl; press with back of spoon to create well in center.
- Heat same pan on medium 1–2 minutes. Place remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan, then add trinity mix and remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic; cook 2–3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in shrimp and sofrito; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until hot. Transfer shrimp mixture to center of tostone mixture. Invert onto serving plate and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 510kcal; FAT 32g; CHOL 175mg; SODIUM 1300mg; CARB 29g; FIBER 5g; PROTEIN 25g; VIT A 20 %; VIT C 50%; CALC 8%; IRON 4%
Lemon Panna Cotta
1/4 cup water
2 (.25-oz) envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons ginger root, grated
Zest/juice of 3 lemons
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 (13.5-oz) can coconut milk
1 (15-oz) can cream of coconut
- Combine water and gelatin in medium bowl; let stand 4–5 minutes.
- Peel and grate ginger.
- Zest/grate lemon peel (no white; 2 teaspoons); squeeze lemons for juice (6 tablespoons).
- Place in small saucepan on medium heat: ginger, lemon zest, sugar, coconut milk, and cream of coconut; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until sugar melts.
- Stir lemon juice into coconut mixture; pour mixture (through a wire-mesh strainer) into gelatin, then whisk until well blended. Pour into 2-quart serving dish (or six custard cups); chill 1 hour or until gelatin sets. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 420kcal; FAT 25g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 35mg; CARB 49g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 10%; CALC 2%; IRON 10%
- Complete your meal with fresh-cut fruit, a fresh salad blend, and Cuban bread.
- Peel fresh ginger root easily using the side, or cup, of a soup spoon to gently scrape the peel off before grating.
Recipe Version seaf0155