2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 lb boneless chuck roast
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (4-oz) chili starter kit (with masa flour)
1 cup trinity mix (fresh diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
1 (32-oz) container unsalted beef stock
1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups tomato-vegetable juice (spicy or regular)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup pre-sliced green onions
- Chop garlic.
- Cut beef into bite-size pieces (wash hands).
- Preheat large stock pot on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan; coat beef with 2 tablespoons chili spice mix (from kit). Brown beef (in batches) 1–2 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove beef from pot.
- Place trinity mix and garlic in same pot; cook 2–3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in beef, stock, tomatoes, juice, and 2 tablespoons chili spice mix; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover; simmer 1–1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Combine masa flour (from kit) and water. Stir into chili; simmer 3–4 minutes or until chili becomes very thick. Top with green onions and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 360kcal; FAT 13g; CHOL 90mg; SODIUM 860mg; CARB 20g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 39g; VIT A 20%; VIT C 70%; CALC 8%; IRON 25%
1 medium Cubanelle pepper, finely chopped
1 (8.5-oz) box corn muffin mix
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1/3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 9-inch-round cake pan with spray.
- Remove stem and seeds from pepper; cut pepper in half.
- Place pepper on baking sheet; bake 8–10 minutes or until softened. Chop pepper finely.
- Prepare corn muffin mix (using egg and milk) following package instructions. Stir in pepper and cheese until well blended.
- Transfer batter to cake pan; bake 12–15 minutes or until golden. Let stand 3–4 minutes to cool. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 170kcal; FAT 7g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 400mg; CARB 22g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 25%; CALC 8%; IRON 2%
- Complete this meal with your favorite chili toppings and Key lime pie for dessert.
- The chili starter kit contains cayenne pepper and salt that we chose to omit. If desired, you can add them for flavor and spiciness.
Recipe Version soup0113