Picadillo Pastry Pies
nonstick aluminum foil
2 sheets frozen puff pastry
1 lb ground chuck beef
2 links cured chorizo (about 3 oz)
1 cup fresh pre-diced onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup sliced green olives
1/4 cup raisins
1 (8-oz) can Spanish-style tomato sauce
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with nonstick foil.
- Place pastry sheets on counter to thaw for 10–15 minutes or until pastry unfolds easily.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place ground beef in pan; brown 4–7 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no longer pink. Cut chorizo into small pieces.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in chorizo, onions, and garlic; cook 2–3 minutes or until vegetables soften. Stir in olives, raisins, and tomato sauce; turn off heat.
- Unfold one pastry sheet and place on baking sheet. Place half the meat in center; fold dough over to form a triangle and pinch edges closed. Repeat. Bake 20 minutes.
- Whisk egg and water together. Remove pastries from oven; brush with egg wash. Bake 5 minutes or until golden. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 610kcal; FAT 39g; CHOL 90mg; SODIUM 810mg; CARB 39g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 25g; VIT A 8%; VIT C 6%; CALC 4%; IRON 30%
- Complete your meal with baked ripe plantains and bread pudding for dessert.
- Don’t force the pastry sheets apart until they are thawed. Otherwise, they will break into pieces.
- Once stuffed, the second pie can be frozen to enjoy another day.
Recipe Version beef0065