Spanish Stewed Chicken With Yellow Rice
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
6 slices bacon
1 (10-oz) package yellow rice mix
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup flour
Large zip-top bag
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 oz pre-diced onions (1 1/2 cups)
8 oz pre-sliced baby portabellas
1/3 cup sliced green olives, drained
1 cup cream sherry
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Chop garlic (1 tablespoon) and green onions.
- Cut chicken and bacon into bite-size pieces.
- Prepare rice following package instructions (using olive oil).
- Place flour in large zip-top bag. Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to bag (wash hands). Seal bag; shake to coat. Remove chicken from bag; shake off excess flour.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place bacon in pan; cook 3–4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add chicken; cook 3–4 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil. Stir in onions, mushrooms, olives, and garlic; cook 4–5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add sherry and broth; simmer 8–10 minutes or until mixture thickens and chicken is 165°F. Remove from heat; stir in green onions and butter. Serve with rice.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 660kcal; FAT 29g; CHOL 120mg; SODIUM 1070mg; CARB 55g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 36g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 15%; CALC 4%; IRON 25%
- Complete your meal with steamed broccoli, Cuban bread, and pecan pie for dessert.
- The ingredients of this chicken recipe represent the flavors of Spain and not those of the Caribbean.
Recipe Version poul0124