Cincinnati-Style Chili With Chorizo
1 lb fresh chorizo sausage (or ground beef)
8 oz fresh pre-diced onions (1 1/2 cups), divided
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
16 oz thin spaghetti pasta
- Bring water to a boil for pasta.
- Remove casing from sausage.
- Preheat stock pot on medium 2–3 minutes. Add chorizo and 1/2 cup onions; cook 2–3 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until onions are softened.
- Combine chili powder, cocoa powder, apple pie spice, and cumin, then add to meat; cook 1–2 minutes to blend flavors.
- Stir in tomato sauce, broth, and cider vinegar; cook 8–10 minutes or until chili thickens and liquid reduces.
- Cook pasta following package instructions. Serve chili over pasta; top with remaining 1 cup onions.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 540kcal; FAT 21g; CHOL 50mg; SODIUM 930mg; CARB 68g; FIBER 6g; PROTEIN 21g; VIT A 35%; VIT C 15%; CALC 4%; IRON 25%
Italian Garlic Toast
6 slices frozen Texas cheese toast
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place bread, cheese side up, on baking sheet; sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake 5–7 minutes on middle shelf of oven. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 150kcal; FAT 7g; CHOL 5mg; SODIUM 200mg; CARB 18g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 0%; CALC 6%; IRON 6%
- Complete your meal with a fresh salad blend and carrot cake for dessert.
- You can use this chili as a condiment for hot dogs, baked potatoes, or add cheese to make a dip.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, or any of your favorite toppings.
Recipe Version 03/11-0048