Simmered Chicken With Sausage
3–4 links mild Italian sausage (3/4 lb)
2 lb skinless chicken thighs
1 (10-oz) bag frozen seasoning blend (diced onions, celery, bell peppers)
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 (14.5-oz) cans diced tomatoes with jalapeño (undrained)
1 (14-oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (5.75-oz) jar sliced green olives (optional; drained)
- Cut sausage into 1-inch-long pieces (wash hands).
- Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place chicken in pan; cook 3–5 minutes, turning to brown on both sides.
- Add sausage; cook 3–5 more minutes, turning to evenly brown on all sides.
- Add seasoning blend and garlic; cook 1–2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth, and pepper. Reduce to simmer; cover and cook 15–20 minutes or until chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. Stir in olives and serve over rice. (Makes 8 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 330kcal; FAT 20g; CHOL 80mg; SODIUM 1370mg; CARB 10g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 26g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 15%; CALC 4%; IRON 15%
Sweet Bean Salsa Arepas
Nonstick aluminum foil
2 (11.2-oz) packages frozen arepas (corn and cheese patties)
1 sweet onion
1 large avocado
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup mango (or pineapple) jam
1 (15.25-oz) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange arepas in single layer on baking sheet.
- Cut one-half each of the onion and avocado into small bite-size pieces.
- Chop cilantro (1/2 cup).
- Squeeze juice of lime into medium bowl.
- Bake arepas 18–20 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Whisk jam into lime juice until smooth. Stir in beans, onions, avocado, and cilantro.
- Arrange arepas on serving platter; top with the bean salsa and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 530kcal; FAT 11g; CHOL 20mg; SODIUM 990mg; CARB 65g; FIBER 11g; PROTEIN 24g; VIT A 30%; VIT C 25%; CALC 40%; IRON 20%
- Complete your meal with rice, Cuban bread, and Key lime pie for dessert.
- Chicken legs, or leg quarters, make an excellent choice in this recipe. The darker, richer meat of these bone-in cuts provides a more moist, finished dish.
Recipe Version R-02/11-0111