Brazilian Chicken Curry
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup baking potato, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 (10-oz) bag frozen pre-cooked brown (or white) rice
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Chop onion and pepper; cut potato into 1/2-inch-pieces.
- Peel and grate/chop ginger; chop cilantro.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces (wash hands).
- Preheat large nonstick sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Coat vegetables with cooking spray, place peppers, onions, and potatoes in pan; cook 3–4 minutes or until browned.
- Coat chicken with cooking spray, then season with salt, pepper, and curry powder. Add chicken to vegetables; cook and stir 3–4 minutes or until chicken has browned on all sides.
- Prepare rice following package instructions.
- Whisk coconut milk, tomato paste, ginger, and garlic until smooth. Reduce heat to low, add sauce to chicken, and cover; simmer and stir 3–4 minutes or until potatoes are tender and chicken is 165°F. Stir in cilantro. Serve over the rice.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 310kcal; FAT 5g; CHOL 65mg; SODIUM 250mg; CARB 39g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 28g; VIT A 40%; VIT C 170%; CALC 6%; IRON 10%
- Complete your meal with a fresh salad blend and whole grain bread.
- You can make this dish vegetarian by omitting the chicken.
Recipe Version 12/10-0120