Southwest Pot Roast With Pinto Beans
1 lb flank steak (or chuck roast)
1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (14.5-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 (8-oz) package tri-pepper mix (fresh diced green, red, yellow bell peppers)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (15-oz) can fat-free pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut steak across the grain into 2-inch strips (wash hands).
- Chop onion.
- Place meat in a baking pan. Combine tomatoes (undrained), onions, garlic, peppers, oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; pour over meat. Cover with foil; bake 2–3 hours or until tender.
- Add beans to roast; bake, uncovered, 5 more minutes, or until beans are hot. Shred meat, using two forks. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 240kcal; FAT 6g; CHOL 40mg; SODIUM 340mg; CARB 17g; FIBER 5g; PROTEIN 25g; VIT A 8%; VIT C 35%; CALC 8%; IRON 20%
- Complete your meal with steamed broccoli, brown rice, and chunky applesauce for dessert.
- Black beans or kidney beans would be a great substitute for the pinto beans.
Recipe Version beef0073