Poppy Seed Pork With Apples and Rice
1 medium onion
3 medium tart green apples
4 ribs celery
1 boneless Boston butt pork roast (2–3 lb)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 1/2 cups apple juice
1 (12-oz) bottle poppy seed dressing
2 cups long grain white rice
- Cut onion and apples into large wedges.
- Cut celery into bite-size pieces.
- Season pork with salt and pepper (wash hands).
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add pork; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until well browned.
- Transfer pork to slow cooker; add onions, celery, apple juice, and poppy seed dressing. Cover and begin to cook on HIGH for 2 hours (or Low for 3 hours).
- Add apples; cook on HIGH 1–2 more hours (or on Low for 3–4 more hours) or until 180°F (for slicing) or 190°F (for shredding).
- Prepare rice, about 30 minutes before serving, following package instructions. Slice or shred pork; serve with apples, sauce, and rice.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 770kcal; FAT 37g; CHOL 100mg; SODIUM 510mg; CARB 74g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 31g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 4%; CALC 6%; IRON 20%
- Complete your meal with a fresh salad blend, garlic bread, and carrot cake for dessert.
- Leftover pork? Add Carolina-style barbecue sauce to make barbecue pork sandwiches.
Recipe Version pork0064