Cubed Beef Steaks With Onions and Pepitas
1 1/2 lb cubed beef steaks
2 teaspoons Baja citrus marinade mix, divided
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 oz fresh pre-sliced onions (2 cups)
1/4 cup pepitas (shelled, roasted pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season both sides of steaks with 1 teaspoon marinade mix, then coat with flour. Place oil in pan, then add steaks; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until no pink remains. Transfer meat to serving platter; cover to keep warm.
- Place onions and remaining 1 teaspoon marinade mix in pan; cook 1–2 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Add pepitas; cook 30 more seconds. Top steaks with onion mixture and serve over rice and plantains.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 440kcal; FAT 22g; CHOL 135mg; SODIUM 200mg; CARB 8; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 49g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 6%; CALC 2%; IRON 30%
Rice and Plantains
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sofrito (Spanish cooking sauce)
2 tablespoons sliced green olives
1 (5-gr) packet sazón with azafrán seasoning
2 (8.8-oz) pouches pre-cooked long grain rice
1 (11-oz) package frozen ripe plantains
- Combine water, sofrito, olives, and sazón in medium saucepan on medium-low. Squeeze rice pouch to break rice apart, then stir in rice and cover; cook and stir 6–8 minutes or until hot.
- Remove packaging from plantains; microwave on HIGH 3–3 1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir into rice and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 400kcal; FAT 11g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 400mg; CARB 75g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 8%; CALC 4%; IRON 8%
- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend, Cuban bread, and carrot cake for dessert.
- Pepitas, which are shelled and roasted pumpkin seeds, can be added to many recipes for a healthy crunch.
Recipe Version beef0071