Sugar-Fried Pork Sides With Rice and Beans
2 tablespoons fresh culantro (coarsely chopped)
1/2 medium onion
1 cup white rice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 (15-oz) cans pink beans in sauce (undrained)
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 lb sliced fresh pork sides
1 teaspoon adobo seasoning with pepper
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons lime juice (optional)
- Chop culantro
- Chop onion finely
- Cook rice following package instructions.
- Place in medium saucepan, onion, garlic, beans, and chicken broth. Cook on low 10–12 minutes or until thoroughly heated and onions begin to soften.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season pork with adobo. Brush with corn syrup and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Place oil in pan and then add pork (in batches, if needed); cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels; cover to keep warm.
- Place rice on serving platter; spoon beans and sauce over rice then add pork. Sprinkle with culantro and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 1330kcal; FAT 100g; CHOL 120mg; SODIUM 1340mg; CARB 80g; FIBER 12g; PROTEIN 29g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 15%; CALC 8%; IRON 30%
- Complete your meal with fresh-baked Cuban bread and guava pastries for dessert.
- Culantro, and its more common cousin cilantro, may be used interchangeably to accent this dish. But use less culantro, as it has a more intense flavor.
Recipe Version pork0060