Garlic Lemon Chicken Gyro With Asparagus
1 lb fresh asparagus spears
1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 3/4 lb)
1/2 cup fresh garlic cloves
5–6 whole fresh thyme sprigs
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Greek seasoning, divided
aluminum foil (optional)
8 oz Deli hummus
4 whole wheat (or regular) pita bread
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces, removing tough root end.
- Cut lemon into very thin slices.
- Slice olives.
- Place chicken in 2-quart baking dish; add garlic and thyme sprigs around chicken. Pour oil over chicken; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning. Arrange lemon slices on top of chicken and cover. Bake 30–40 minutes or until 165°F. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Transfer 2 tablespoons garlic-seasoned oil (from chicken) to pan then add asparagus and remaining 1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning; cook and stir 4–5 minutes or until tender.
- Spread hummus over pita bread. Slice chicken and arrange over hummus. Sprinkle olives and roasted garlic cloves over chicken. Fold in half. Serve with asparagus.
The cooked lemon slices are very tender. They can be added with the chicken or simply discarded.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 510kcal; FAT 20g; CHOL 110mg; SODIUM 860mg; CARB 36g; FIBER 9g; PROTEIN 50g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 60%; CALC 10%; IRON 25%
- Complete your meal with a fresh salad of baby greens and red wine vinaigrette with miniature pastries for dessert.
- The garlic-seasoned oil (from baking the chicken) adds delicious flavor to the asparagus.
Recipe Version poul0112