Ginger Spice Turkey
2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 fresh turkey tenderloins
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup dried cranberries
2 cups orange juice
1 cup Marsala wine
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with foil.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar, salt, ginger, curry powder, and pepper. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Sprinkle both sides of turkey with one-half of the spice mixture (wash hands).
- Place oil in pan, then add turkey; cook about 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to baking sheet (save pan for later use); bake 20–25 minutes or until 165°F.
- Remove turkey from oven and let stand 10–15 minutes before slicing. Add (to same sauté pan) cranberries, orange juice, Marsala, remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and remaining half of spice mixture to pan; cook on medium-high 10–15 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed into cranberries. Slice turkey and serve with cranberry mixture.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 490kcal; FAT 4.5g; CHOL 110mg; SODIUM 220mg; CARB 53g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 42g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 70%; CALC 4%; IRON 15%
Cranberry Granola Dressing
1/2 lb chicken (or turkey) Italian sausage (2 links)
4 eggs (or 1 cup egg substitute)
8–12 fresh sage leaves
8 oz trinity mix (fresh diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
3 cups cranberry granola
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Remove sausage casing and place sausage in pan; cook 5–7 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains.
- Beat eggs lightly. Chop sage leaves very, very finely (the size of kosher salt grains; larger pieces could be bitter); then measure 1 tablespoon, firmly packed.
- Turn heat off sausage. Stir in remaining ingredients; transfer to baking dish. Bake 15–20 minutes or until golden and firmly set. Serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 290kcal; FAT 10g; CHOL 135mg; SODIUM 280mg; CARB 35g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 15g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 10%; CALC 4%; IRON 15%
- Complete your meal with green beans, dinner rolls, and pumpkin pie for dessert.
- The ginger spice blend is also excellent on whole baked turkeys or pork roasts.
Recipe Version poul0110