Potato Soup With Sausage
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 lb Yukon gold potatoes
1/2 lb chicken (or turkey) Italian sausage (2 links)
1 (48-oz) box reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
4 cups chopped kale greens (about 8 oz)
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Slice onion. Halve potatoes, then slice thinly.
- Remove casing from sausage (wash hands).
- Preheat large stock pot on medium 2–3 minutes. Place sausage in pan; brown 5–7 minutes, stirring to crumble meat, or until no pink remains.
- Stir in onions; cook 1–2 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir in potatoes, broth, salt, seasoning, and kale; cook and stir 12–15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree soup lightly using stick blender (or potato masher) until smooth. Stir in cream; serve.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 180kcal; FAT 7g; CHOL 40mg; SODIUM 740mg; CARB 20g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 11g; VIT A 100%; VIT C 60%; CALC 6%; IRON 10%
Pumpkin Cookie Cakes
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1 cup canned pumpkin
2/3 cup canned dulce de leche caramel
1 (24-ct) package refrigerated cookie dough (gingerbread or sugar) *see Aprons Advice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat 24-cup mini-muffin pan with cooking spray. Whisk egg in medium bowl until blended. Stir in pumpkin and caramel until evenly mixed.
- Separate cookie dough, placing one square in each cup of muffin pan. Press dough evenly, using fingertips, into bottom of cup and up sides to form a crust.
- Fill each cup with about 1 teaspoon of pumpkin mixture. Bake 25 minutes or until crust is golden. Cool 10 minutes in pan; turn out with a fork and serve. (Makes 24 mini-cakes.)
CALORIES (per 1/24 recipe) 120kcal; FAT 4.5g; CHOL 25mg; SODIUM 70mg; CARB 17g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 35%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 4%
- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend and crusty bread.
- You will have enough pumpkin and dulce de leche caramel left to make a second batch of cookie cakes. Just be sure to pick up an extra package of cookie dough for the crust.
Recipe Version R-11/12-0090