Fish in Margarita Broth
1 medium onion (rinsed)
12¿14 sprigs cilantro (rinsed)
2 fresh garlic cloves
1 (13.5-oz) bottle limeade juice drink
1 1/3 cups water
4 fish filets, 1 1/2 lb (snapper, orange roughy, or tilapia; thawed, if needed)
1/2 teaspoon chile lime seasoning
- Remove ends and skin from onion; slice onion thinly. Chop cilantro coarsely and chop garlic finely; place all in large saucepan. Add limeade and water.
- Bring mixture, on medium-high heat, to just about boiling. Always check fish carefully and remove any bones. Lay fish, skin side down, over an inverted bowl; the curve lifts the bones. Use fingertips to feel for bones that may not be visible. Season both sides of fish with lime seasoning and place in broth (wash hands). Cook 1–2 minutes, then remove pan from heat. Let stand 2–3 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°F (or flesh is opaque and separates easily with a fork). Cook time may vary depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Transfer each fish filet to a serving bowl. Spoon broth, onions, and cilantro over fish. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 230kcal; FAT 2.5g; CHOL 60mg;
SODIUM 100mg; CARB 17g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 34g;
VIT A 6%; VIT C 8%; CALC 6%; IRON 2%
3 fresh garlic cloves
15–18 sprigs fresh cilantro (rinsed)
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup mojo marinade
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 (4.5-oz) box codfish fritter mix (bacalaítos)
1/4 cup canola oil
- Chop garlic finely and chop cilantro coarsely (1/4 cup); place both in medium bowl. Stir in water, mojo, and baking powder; whisk in dry fritter mix until well blended. Let stand 5 minutes for batter to rise.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan. Use two soup spoons; scoop batter with first spoon, use back of second spoon to scrape batter into pan. Fritters should be about 3-inch-wide circles. Cook 1–2 minutes on each side (bubbles will form just before fritter needs to be turned) or until dough has puffed and is well browned. Place on absorbent paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 170kcal; FAT 6g; CHOL 0mg;
SODIUM 790mg; CARB 23g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 6g;
VIT A 2%; VIT C 10%; CALC 10%; IRON 8%
Utensils & Cookware
large sauté pan
mixing bowls, whisk
knife and cutting board
Don¿t mince the cilantro too finely; the coarser chop adds texture to the fritters, and a bright color to the soup.
Recipe Version seaf0117