Chicken With Carrot Sauce
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 cups carrot juice
1 cup cream sherry
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season chicken with salt and pepper (wash hands). Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken (wash hands); cook 4–5 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Meanwhile, preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add walnuts and raisins; cook 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until raisins begin to soften. Whisk in small bowl, cornstarch and carrot juice until blended. Stir in carrot juice mixture and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat on chicken breasts to medium; cover and cook 4–5 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness.
- Reduce heat on sauce to medium-low; cook 5–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until slightly thickened. Slice chicken and serve with sauce.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 730kcal; FAT 45g; CHOL 190mg;
SODIUM 330mg; CARB 32g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 39g;
VIT A 370%; VIT C 15%; CALC 10%; IRON 15%
Tomato Goat Cheese Salad
4 ounces semi-soft goat cheese
2 medium tomatoes (rinsed)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
16 fresh basil leaves (rinsed)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup balsamic glaze
- Cut cheese lengthwise in half, then into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut stem core from tomatoes; then cut each into eight wedges and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange on serving plate, alternating cheese, basil leaves, and tomatoes; sprinkle with oregano.
- Drizzle with glaze; let stand 5 minutes to marinate. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 120kcal; FAT 9g; CHOL 20mg;
SODIUM 220mg; CARB 8g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 7g;
VIT A 25%; VIT C 15%; CALC 15%; IRON 4%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan with lid
- large saucepan, tongs
- whisk, cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
This recipe makes extra sauce which is perfect for serving over rice or mashed sweet potatoes.
Recipe Version poul0094