Spring Vegetable Risotto
1 1/2 cups risotto rice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (32-oz) box reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 cup fresh sugar snap peas (rinsed)
1 medium yellow squash (rinsed)
8 oz tomato trinity mix (fresh diced tomatoes, onions, bell peppers)
1 teaspoon vegetable seasoning blend
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine rice, butter, and broth in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut sugar snaps and squash into small bite-size pieces; place in medium bowl. Stir in tomato trinity and seasoning blend.
- Stir vegetable mixture into rice; cover and microwave 10–15 more minutes or until rice is softened and most of water is absorbed. Stir in Parmesan cheese; rice will thicken as it stands. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 330kcal; FAT 8g; CHOL 20mg;
SODIUM 760mg; CARB 54g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 8g;
VIT A 40%; VIT C 40%; CALC 10%; IRON 20%
1 medium cantaloupe (rinsed)
20–30 fresh mint leaves (rinsed)
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remove peel from cantaloupe; cut in half and remove seeds. Cut into bite-size pieces; place in medium bowl. Chop mint leaves finely (about 1/3 cup) and add to cantaloupe.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Let stand 5–10 minutes for flavors to blend. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 200kcal; FAT 0g; CHOL 0mg;
SODIUM 70mg; CARB 48g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 2g;
VIT A 140%; VIT C 120%; CALC 2%; IRON 6%
Utensils & Cookware
- microwave-safe bowl with lid
- 2 medium bowls
- cooking spoons
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Prepare the risotto immediately before serving, as it becomes dense and sticky when cooled.
Recipe Version 05/09-0016