1 red bell pepper (rinsed)
2 small yellow squash (rinsed)
1 medium zucchini (rinsed)
1 shallot (rinsed)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3/4 cup canned Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
4 large portabella mushroom caps (rinsed)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut pepper in half; remove seeds and membrane. Cut pepper into thin slices; then cut slices in half. Cut squash and zucchini in half lengthwise; slice thinly. Remove ends and peel from shallot; chop finely. ,Li>Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place 1 tablespoon of the butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and fresh cut vegetables; cook 2–3 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Cook 3–4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are softened.
- Meanwhile, place remaining 1 tablespoon butter in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1–2 minutes or until melted. Stir in bread crumbs (mixture will be crumbly).
- Coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray; place mushrooms in dish. Divide vegetable mixture among mushrooms; sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Bake 10–15 minutes or until golden and mushrooms are softened. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 140kcal; FAT 6g; CHOL 15mg; SODIUM 450mg; CARB 19g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 35%; VIT C 100%; CALC 6%; IRON 10%
Cucumber Barley Salad
2 cups water
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1 seedless cucumber (rinsed)
1 sweet onion (rinsed)
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/2 cup vanilla almond low-sugar granola (optional)
- Place water and barley in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 5–7 minutes or until barley is soft and water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, peel cucumber and cut in half lengthwise. Cut into 1/4-inch slices. Remove ends and peel from onion; slice onion thinly.
- Stir remaining ingredients (except granola) into barley until evenly coated. Sprinkle with granola, if using, and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 260kcal; FAT 13g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 410mg; CARB 32g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 4%; CALC 4%; IRON 4%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan
- 2-quart baking dish
- 2 microwave-safe bowls (1 with lid)
- vegetable peeler
- cooking spoons
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
The cucumber salad can also be made with bulgur wheat instead of barley.
Recipe Version vege0011