Stuffed Shells With Marinara
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh pre-diced onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 lb mild Italian chicken (or pork) sausage
18 jumbo pasta shells (6 oz)
1 jar tomato pasta sauce (marinara), 24-26 oz, divided
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup shredded Italian-blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring water to boil for pasta.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add onions and garlic. Remove sausage casing: cut in half lengthwise (butterfly), turn sausage over, and peel the casing away. Add sausage to the onions (wash hands); brown 5–6 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage, or until no pink remains.
- Cook pasta shells following the package instructions.
- Stir one-half of the pasta sauce into sausage; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Chop parsley. Remove pan from heat and stir in parsley.
- Drain shells; spoon sausage mixture into each shell and arrange in baking dish. Pour remaining pasta sauce over shells; sprinkle with cheese. Cover dish with foil; bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce bubbles around edges. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 300kcal; FAT 9g; CHOL 60mg; SODIUM 1200mg; CARB 34g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 21g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 20%; CALC 8%; IRON 15%
Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
1 medium yellow tomato
1 small red bell pepper
1/2 seedless cucumber
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup lite red wine/olive oil vinaigrette
1 bag spring mix salad blend (5–7 oz)
2 tablespoons raisins
- Cut tomato, bell pepper, and one-half of the cucumber into bite-size pieces.
- Squeeze lemon for juice (2 tablespoons) into salad bowl; whisk in dressing until blended. Add salad greens and toss to coat.
- Add remaining ingredients; toss and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 45kcal; FAT 1.5g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 150mg; CARB 7g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 1g; VIT A 30%; VIT C 45%; CALC 2%; IRON 4%
- Complete your meal with Italian bread and an apple (or fruit) pie for dessert.
- Add fresh flavor to the pasta by slicing 3–4 fresh basil leaves thinly; add with the parsley.
Recipe Version R-10/11-0043