Ham and Swiss Roast
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 fully cooked ham (6–8 lb)
6 oz Swiss cheese slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine mustard, caraway seeds, and pepper. Brush mustard mixture into 6–8 cuts (about 3 inches deep) equally spaced across top of ham; then insert 1/2 cheese slice into same openings.
- Wrap ham tightly in foil. Bake 50–60 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. (Refer to packaging to determine time for larger ham.) Let stand 5–10 minutes before slicing. Serve. (Makes 12 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/12 of recipe [6-lb ham]) 400kcal; FAT 30g; CHOL 115mg; SODIUM 1670mg; CARB 3g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 28g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 8%
1 lb fresh carrots
1/3 cup butter
3 large eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut carrots into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine with butter and cover; microwave on HIGH 7–8 minutes or until tender.
- Process carrots in food processor with remaining ingredients; transfer to baking dish. Bake 30–40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes; serve. (Makes 8 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 160kcal; FAT 10g; CHOL 100mg; SODIUM 140mg; CARB 16g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 3g; VIT A 190%; VIT C 4%; CALC 6%; IRON 4%
8 oz fresh-cut kale leaves (1/2 bag)
2 tablespoons water
1 cup panko bread crumbs
7 oz medium-sharp, white cheese
1 (24-oz) package refrigerated mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup canola oil
- Combine kale and water, then cover; microwave on HIGH 5–7 minutes or until tender. Place panko on plate.
- Grate cheese into large bowl; stir in potatoes and garlic. Drain kale; stir into potatoes. Form into patties (2 tablespoons each) and coat with panko.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add patties (cooking in small batches); cook 3–4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels; cover to keep warm. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 390kcal; FAT 28g; CHOL 45mg; SODIUM 680mg; CARB 22g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 12g; VIT A 130%; VIT C 25%; CALC 35%; IRON 4%
- Complete your meal with warm dinner rolls and a Bakery creme cake.
- The heating time for the ham was calculated to keep the ham moist. Fully cooked hams may dry out if heated too long. You may choose to follow label instructions and food safety guidelines for heating your ham.
Recipe Version pork0048