Cranberry Almond Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 lb)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Place chicken in dish; bake 20 minutes. While chicken bakes, chop shallots coarsely; slice bulb and lower leaves of leeks finely (1/2 cup). Place butter in small bowl to soften.
- Combine in small saucepan, vinegar, syrup, nutmeg, shallots, and leeks; bring to a boil on medium-high.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until liquid is thickened and has reduced by about one-half. Stir remaining ingredients into butter until blended to make topping.
- Remove chicken from oven. Pour hot maple sauce evenly over chicken; sprinkle with cranberry topping. Bake 5–10 more minutes or until chicken is 165°F. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 580kcal; FAT 19g; CHOL 150mg; SODIUM 210mg; CARB 52g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 49g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 6%; CALC 10%; IRON 20%
Beet Spinach Salad
1 bag fresh baby spinach leaves (5–6 oz)
1 (15-oz) can cut beets (well drained)
1 (11-oz) can mandarin oranges, well drained
1/4 cup poppy seed dressing
- Place spinach in salad bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients; toss and serve.
- Oven-Roasted Beet Spinach Salad: Preheat oven to 450°F. Remove beet greens from 3 fresh beets; wrap beets tightly in foil. Bake 40–50 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Unwrap foil and easily remove skin by rubbing firmly with paper towels. Slice and add to salad.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 150kcal; FAT 5g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 400mg; CARB 26g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 40%; VIT C 40%; CALC 6%; IRON 20%
- Complete your meal with mashed potatoes, peas, dinner rolls, and apple pie for dessert.
- For an extra special salad, choose the option for roasting fresh beets. Begin to bake about 30 minutes before beginning chicken.
Recipe Version poul0091