1/4 cup flour
2 large eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
1 tablespoon water
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 lb jumbo peeled/deveined shrimp (thawed)
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup pineapple/apricot preserves
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Place flour on plate (can be paper). Combine eggs and water in shallow bowl. Combine in second shallow bowl, panko, coconut, salt, and allspice.
- Dip each shrimp in flour (coating both sides), then dip into egg mixture (allowing excess to drip off). Finally, dip into coconut mixture. Wash hands.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add one-half of the shrimp; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels; repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Combine preserves and horseradish in microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 1–2 minutes, stirring once, or until melted. Stir sauce and serve with shrimp.
Traditional Fried Shrimp: Omit the coconut, salt, and allspice; instead, add 1 (more) cup panko, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano to panko mixture.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 700kcal; FAT 26g; SAT FAT 8g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 380mg; SODIUM 1500mg; CARB 80g; FIBER 3g; SUGARS 46g; PROTEIN 37g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 6%; CALC 15%; IRON 10%
Chocolate Cherries Jubilee Cheesecake
1 cup heavy whipping cream
6 slices Bakery NY-style cheesecake
1 (10-oz) bag bittersweet chocolate morsels (about 2 cups)
1 (20-oz) can light cherry pie filling
1/4 cup cream sherry (optional)
- Place cream in small saucepan; heat on medium-high 4–5 minutes or until hot and steaming. Arrange cheesecake slices on serving dishes.
- Remove pan from heat and add chocolate morsels (do not stir); let stand 3–4 minutes. Combine pie filling and sherry in small bowl until blended.
- Whisk chocolate mixture until smooth; pour over cheesecake slices. Top with cherry mixture. Chill until ready to serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 740kcal; FAT 62g; SAT FAT 32g; TRANS FAT 1g; CHOL 200mg; SODIUM 350mg; CARB 70g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 59g; PROTEIN 11g; VIT A 35%; VIT C 4%; CALC 10%; IRON 10%
CALORIES (per 1/6 topping only recipe) 470kcal; FAT 32g; SAT FAT 19g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 55g; SODIUM 35mg; CARB 49g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 40g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 4%; CALC 6%; IRON 10%
- Complete your meal with rice pilaf, Caesar salad, and dinner rolls.
- Semisweet, milk, or white chocolate can be used instead of bittersweet for the cheesecake topping.
Recipe Version seaf0101