Spanish-Style Stuffed Peppers
5 medium green bell peppers (rinsed)
6 fresh garlic cloves
1/2 cup stuffed green olives
8 oz fresh chorizo (1 link)
1 1/2 lb ground meatloaf blend (beef)
1/2 cup pre-diced onions
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (8.8-ounce) pouch pre-cooked original long grain rice
2 tablespoons sofrito (Spanish cooking sauce)
1 (8-ounce) can Spanish tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Cut peppers in half (remove seeds and membranes); arrange peppers in baking dish with cut side up. Chop garlic finely; coarsely chop olives. Cut chorizo in half lengthwise; chop finely (wash hands).
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place garlic, olives, chorizo, meatloaf, onions, and raisins in pan; cook 3–4 minutes, stirring often, or until onions are softened and meat is lightly browned. Remove from heat; stir in cumin and pepper.
3. Combine rice and sofrito in small bowl. Spoon rice mixture evenly into peppers; top each with meat mixture. Pour tomato sauce evenly over peppers. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.
4. Remove foil; bake 5–7 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 620kcal; FAT 40g; CHOL 115mg;
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 very well-ripened plantains (rinsed)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons flaked coconut
2 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place butter in 2-quart baking dish; place in oven just until butter melts.
2. Cut ends off plantains; slice through peel lengthwise for easy removal. Remove peel; slice plantains thinly and place in medium bowl. Stir in brown sugar and allspice, gently, until evenly coated. (Remove baking dish from oven.)
3. Spoon plantains into baking dish. Sprinkle with coconut; then drizzle with honey. Bake 12–15 minutes or until coconut is toasted and plantains bubble around the edges. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 250kcal; FAT 4.5g; CHOL 10mg;
Add items to your grocery list by clicking on the next to any item below.
The icon will change to to indicate that it has been added.
Utensils & Cookware
Don't heat the pre-cooked rice before filling the peppers. The rice will be perfectly cooked and will absorb the juices and flavors from the meat during the bake time.
Recipe Version 10/07-0050 H