Chicken With Apricots
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup sliced green olives
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lb chicken fillets
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (14-oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Chop apricots and olives coarsely.
- Place oil in pan, then add chicken; cook 2–3 minutes (do not turn). Turn chicken; add garlic, apricots, and olives. Cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until garlic begins to soften.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook 5–7 minutes, turning chicken once, or until chicken is 165°F.
- Remove chicken from pan; increase heat to medium. Cook sauce 2–3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove and discard bay leaf. Slice chicken and serve with sauce.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 370kcal; FAT 12g; CHOL 95mg; SODIUM 470mg; CARB 27g; FIBER 5g; PROTEIN 37g; VIT A 40%; VIT C 4%; CALC 6%; IRON 15%
Green Onion Latkes
1 (20-oz) package refrigerated hash browns
2 green onions
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Place potatoes in medium bowl. Slice onions thinly; stir into potatoes.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Stir remaining ingredients (except oil) into potatoes until well blended.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil in pan; swirl to coat. Spoon 1–2 tablespoons potato mixture into pan; spread into a 3-inch patty (four patties in each batch). Cook 3–4 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat with remaining oil and potatoes; serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 190kcal; FAT 10g; CHOL 70mg; SODIUM 390mg; CARB 23g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 2%; CALC 2%; IRON 6%
- Complete your meal with a fresh salad blend and fresh cut fruit for dessert.
- The latkes can be formed ahead of time. Arrange patties in single layer on baking sheet; chill up to 2 hours.
Recipe Version poul0080