Shrimp and Sausage Skewers
3–4 smoked Cajun sausage links (about 10 oz)
16 jumbo peeled/deveined shrimp (thawed)
4 (12-inch) bamboo skewers
1/2 cup apple jelly
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Preheat grill. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices (16 slices).
- Coat both sides of shrimp with cooking spray.
- Thread tail of shrimp onto skewer, then slice of sausage, and then other end of shrimp (so that shrimp hugs sausage). Repeat until four shrimp and sausage pairs are on each skewer.
- Combine remaining ingredients in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 2 minutes, stirring once, or until liquefied.
- Place skewers on grill; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until shrimp just begin to turn pink.
- Brush jelly mixture over shrimp; cook 1 more minute on each side or until shrimp are pink. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 300kcal; FAT 10g; CHOL 145mg; SODIUM 590mg; CARB 31g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 23g; VIT A 6%; VIT C 2%; CALC 2%; IRON 15%
Stewed Tomatoes and Okra
1 lb fresh okra
1 (28-oz) can diced Italian-style tomatoes (undrained)
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- Cut okra into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 3 cups).
- Combine all ingredients (except okra) in medium saucepan; bring to boil on medium-high.
- Stir in okra; return to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer and stir 10–15 minutes or until okra is tender. Reduce heat to warm until ready to serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 50kcal; FAT 0g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 450mg; CARB 8g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 3g; VIT A 30%; VIT C 40%; CALC 10%; IRON 20%
- Complete your meal with white rice, fresh salad blend, corn muffins, and pound cake for dessert.
- The shrimp recipe makes a great party snack; just remove the skewers and serve. Or use short skewers for individual servings.
Recipe Version seaf0096