Shrimp and Red Peppers On Rice
10–12 sprigs fresh cilantro (rinsed)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 lb peeled/deveined shrimp (thawed, if needed)
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups instant white rice
1/3 cup diced pimentos
1/4 cup pre-sliced green onions
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Chop cilantro leaves finely; set aside. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic and shrimp (wash hands); cook 2–3 minutes, stirring often, or just until shrimp begin to turn pink.
2. Meanwhile, combine water and rice in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 5–7 minutes or until tender and most of water is absorbed.
3. Stir remaining ingredients (except cilantro) into shrimp. Cook 2–3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions are clear and shrimp are pink. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over rice. CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 370kcal; FAT 8g; CHOL 185mg;
SODIUM 220mg; CARB 45g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 27g;
VIT A 25%; VIT C 30%; CALC 8%; IRON 35%
Tomato Jicama Salad
3 medium tomatoes (rinsed)
4 ounces fresh watercress leaves (rinsed)
1 medium jicama (about 1 lb, rinsed)
1 lemon (for juice, rinsed)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices; arrange 3 tomato slices on each salad plate. Place watercress leaves over tomatoes.
2. Cut jicama into quarters; then peel. Cut each piece into thin slices; then stack slices and cut into thin, uniform matchsticks (about 2 cups). Mound jicama over watercress.
3. Squeeze juice of lemon over salads. Drizzle with olive oil and serve. CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 130kcal; FAT 7g; CHOL 0mg;
SODIUM 20mg; CARB 16g; FIBER 7g; PROTEIN 2g;
VIT A 45%; VIT C 90%; CALC 6%; IRON 6%
Add items to your grocery list by clicking on the next to any item below.
The icon will change to to indicate that it has been added.
Utensils & Cookware
Jicama is a crunchy root vegetable with a sweet, nutty flavor; it is served both raw and cooked. Store leftover peeled jicama in a mix of water and vinegar (or lemon juice) to avoid discoloration.
Recipe Version seaf0093