1 cup frozen sofrito (Spanish cooking sauce)
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup tomato trinity mix (fresh pre-sliced tomatoes, bell peppers, onions)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onions (undrained)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 whole cut-up chicken (about 3.5 lbs)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup white wine
- Thaw sofrito under cool running water. Meanwhile, preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic, tomato trinity, canned tomatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; cook 5–7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until most of liquid evaporates.
- Meanwhile, season both sides of chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper (wash hands).
- Transfer sauce to medium bowl; set aside. Place remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken, with skin side down (wash hands); cook 3–4 minutes or until slightly browned. Turn chicken and cook 3–4 more minutes to brown second side.
- Stir sofrito (1 cup) and wine into tomato sauce; pour over chicken. (Chill remaining sofrito for another use.) Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 25–30 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 490kcal; FAT 32g; CHOL 100mg;
SODIUM 880mg; CARB 8g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 38g;
VIT A 15%; VIT C 35%; CALC 6%; IRON 15%
1 box vanilla instant pudding mix (4-serving size)
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup mango nectar
6 (1-ounce) shortcake dessert shells
3/4 cup aerosol whipped topping
6 tablespoons dried tropical fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple)
- Whisk together in medium bowl, pudding mix, milk, and mango nectar. Cover and chill 10 or more minutes.
- Spoon pudding into dessert shells. Top with whipped topping and dried fruit; serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 270kcal; FAT 7g; CHOL 70mg;
SODIUM 360mg; CARB 48g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 5g;
VIT A 15%; VIT C 6%; CALC 10%; IRON 4%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan with lid
- medium bowls, whisk
- tongs, cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- measuring utensils
Sofrito is made by cooking garlic, onions, and peppers in oil until they are tender and thickened. This mixture can be used to give a flavor boost to meats, vegetables, or soups.
Recipe Version poul0074