Picante Steak and Mostaccioli Pasta
1/2 cup pre-diced red onion
7–8 sprigs fresh cilantro (rinsed)
1/4 cup canned, sliced jalapeno peppers
1/2 cup roasted red peppers
two 8-ounce cans crushed pineapple in juice (drained)
8 ounces mostaccioli or penne rigate pasta
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, divided
1 pound beef flank steak
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat grill. Fill large saucepan half full of water. Cover and bring to boil on high for pasta.
- Chop cilantro and then jalapeño and red peppers; place all in medium bowl. Stir in onions and pineapple; set aside.
- Stir pasta into boiling water. Boil 10–12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender. (Transfer cooked pasta to colander to drain.)
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the oil over both sides of the steak; then sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the chili powder. Place steak on grill (wash hands); grill 4–5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 145°F (for medium-rare). Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure desired doneness. (Grills vary widely; adjust time as needed.) Remove steaks from grill; let stand 5–10 minutes before slicing.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 1–2 minutes. Place remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add pineapple mixture (set bowl aside), lime juice, salt, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon chili powder. Cook 4–5 minutes or until onions begin to soften. Transfer pasta to same medium bowl.
- Stir pineapple mixture into pasta. Cut steak in 1/8-inch-strips diagonally against the grain; cut strips into bite-size pieces. Stir into pasta and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 510kcal; FAT 15g; CHOL 45mg;
SODIUM 260mg; CARB 60g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 32g;
VIT A 25%; VIT C 50%; CALC 4%; IRON 20%
Spinach Raspberry Salad
1 bag fresh baby spinach leaves (5–6 oz)
1/2 cup grape tomatoes (rinsed)
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup (about 1 cup), well drained
1/4 cup raspberry vinaigrette
- Place all ingredients (except dressing) in salad bowl.
- Add dressing; toss and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 100kcal; FAT 2.5g; CHOL 0mg;
SODIUM 210mg; CARB 20g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 1g;
VIT A 45%; VIT C 35%; CALC 4%; IRON 10%
Utensils & Cookware
- grill, grilling tongs
- large saucepan with lid
- large sauté pan
- salad bowl, medium bowl
- colander, basting brush
- cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
For a vegetarian treat, simply omit the flank steak. The pasta has a sweet, hot flavor that tastes great alone.
Recipe Version gril0010