Salmon Over Spinach With Rice
2 cups water
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup long grain white rice
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets (ask for skin to be removed)
3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 shallots (rinsed)
4 ounces fresh pre-sliced mushrooms (rinsed)
10 ounces fresh spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Place water and 1 tablespoon of the butter in medium saucepan; cover and bring to boil on high for rice.
2. Stir rice into boiling water; cover and reduce to low. Cook 20–25 minutes, without stirring, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
3. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Cut salmon into 4 portions, removing any darker sections; wash hands. Place 1 tablespoon of the butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add salmon (wash hands); brush with half of the teriyaki sauce and cook 5 minutes. Meanwhile, peel shallots and chop finely; set aside.
4. Turn salmon and brush with remaining teriyaki sauce. Cook 5–7 more minutes or until flesh is opaque and separates easily with a fork. Remove fish from pan; cover to keep warm.
5. Place remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and mushrooms. Cook 2–3 minutes, stirring often, or until mushrooms begin to soften.
6. Add spinach, salt, and pepper; cook 3–4 minutes, stirring often, or just until spinach wilts. Serve salmon over spinach mixture. Fluff rice with fork and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 590kcal; FAT 27g; CHOL 125mg; SODIUM 1040mg; CARB 44g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 41g; VIT A 140%; VIT C 45%; CALC 10%; IRON 30%
1 pound Produce tropical fruit salad (fresh pineapple, strawberries, kiwi)
1 lime (rinsed)
3 tablespoons guava jelly
4 (4-ounce) cups prepared flan
1/2 cup aerosol whipped cream
1. Drain juice from fruit salad into medium microwave-safe bowl. Cut fruit into bite-sized pieces; set aside. Cut very thin slices or zest curls from lime for garnish. Cut lime in half; squeeze juice of one half into fruit juice (1 tablespoon). Add guava jelly; microwave on HIGH 30–35 seconds or just until slightly warm. Stir until blended.
2. Stir in cut fruit until evenly coated; chill until ready to serve.
3. Place flan in dessert bowls. (Insert knife between flan and plastic cup, around all edges, then invert. Squeeze gently until each flan releases.) Spoon fruit mixture around flan; top with whipped cream and lime zest garnish. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 260kcal; FAT 5g; CHOL 40mg; SODIUM 95mg; CARB 52g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 110%; CALC 15%; IRON 2%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan, turning spatula
- medium saucepan with lid
- medium microwave-safe bowl
- 4 dessert bowls, cooking spoons
- basting brush, zester (optional)
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Shallots are from the onion family, but look like a large head of garlic. They are more delicately flavored than round onions.
Recipe Version seaf0090