Chicken Risotto Soup
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces trinity mix (fresh diced onions, bell peppers, celery)
8 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms (rinsed)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
5 fresh garlic cloves
3 ounces fresh spinach leaves (1 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup long grain white rice
1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/3 cup white wine
10 ounces cooked chicken (or turkey)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat large saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place olive oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add trinity mix, mushrooms, and pepper. Crush garlic into pan using garlic press. Use knife to remove garlic from bottom of press. Cook 3–4 minutes, stirring often, until vegetables begin to brown. Meanwhile, chop spinach coarsely.
- Stir in rice and spinach. Cook 1–2 minutes, stirring often, until spinach wilts. Stir in broth, half-and-half, and wine (in that order); bring to boil.
- Reduce to medium and cook 15–17 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender. Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Combine water and cornstarch in small bowl until well blended. Stir chicken into soup. Slowly add cornstarch mixture, stirring continuously, until blended and soup begins to thicken. Cook 2–3 more minutes, stirring occasionally, to heat chicken and blend flavors. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 250kcal; FAT 11g; CHOL 50mg; SODIUM 990mg; CARB 21g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 15g; VIT A 30%; VIT C 25%; CALC 6%; IRON 8%
Chive Butter Rolls
12 Bakery potato dinner rolls
15–20 fresh chives (rinsed)
1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange rolls on baking sheet.
- Chop chives finely (2 tablespoons); place in microwave-safe bowl with sour cream and butter. Microwave on HIGH 20–30 seconds or until butter melts. Stir mixture and spoon over rolls. Bake 10–15 minutes or until golden and heated. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 240kcal; FAT 9g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 250mg; CARB 30g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 4g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 10%; CALC 0%; IRON 8%
Utensils & Cookware
- large saucepan, baking sheet
- microwave-safe bowl, small bowl
- garlic press, cooking spoons
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
This recipe would be delicious made with leftover rotisserie chicken or roasted turkey.
Recipe Version soup0073