Apple Kraut Bratwurst
5 links bratwurst (about 1 1/4 lbs)
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 cups sauerkraut
1 (3-ounce) bag sweet dried apple chips
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup red wine
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon whole caraway seed
1. Place bratwurst, water, and 1 tablespoon of the butter in large saucepan on medium-high. Bring to boil and cook 10–12 minutes, turning occasionally, until water evaporates and bratwurst begin to brown.
2. While brats cook, rinse sauerkraut under cool running water 30–40 seconds (to reduce tartness); drain well. Crush apple chips while placing in microwave-safe bowl. Stir in sauerkraut and brown sugar; cover.
3. Cook sauerkraut mixture in microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thoroughly heated.
4. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, wine, and sauerkraut mixture to bratwurst; sprinkle with pepper and caraway seed. Cover and cook 6–8 more minutes, stirring occasionally, or until internal temperature of bratwurst reaches 160°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Serve. CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 680kcal; FAT 51g; CHOL 115mg; SODIUM 1690mg; CARB 32g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 19g; VIT A 4%; VIT C 40%; CALC 8%; IRON 10%
Bacon Onion Potatoes
2 tablespoons cooked bacon pieces
1/4 cup pre-diced onions
1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated homestyle sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place bacon, onions, and vinaigrette in pan and cook 5–6 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are well browned.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 6–8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender. Serve. CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 250kcal; FAT 10g; CHOL 5mg; SODIUM 770mg; CARB 37g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 4%; CALC 4%; IRON 15%
Add items to your grocery list by clicking on the next to any item below.
The icon will change to to indicate that it has been added.
Utensils & Cookware
Thin slices of fresh sweet apples, such as Red Delicious or Gala, may be used instead of dried apple chips.
Recipe Version pork0038