French Onion Soup
3 medium yellow onions
olive-oil cooking spray
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon beef base
4 slices Holland Rusk (crisp toast)
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 slices provolone cheese
4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Wash onions. Cut ends off and discard. Cut in half and remove outer skin. Lay cut side flat on cutting board and slice into 1/4-inch strips. Place in microwave-safe bowl.
2. Spray onions with cooking spray. Cover and microwave on high 5 minutes.
3. Two minutes into microwaving, preheat large saucepan on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.
4. Spray saucepan with cooking spray. Remove onions from microwave and place in saucepan. Add garlic and simmer 5-7 minutes, or until onions are rusty brown. Stir often.
5. Stir in broth, thyme and pepper. Cover and bring to boil.
6. Place in a 2-cup measuring cup, water, cornstarch and beef base. Mix together until beef base is dissolved.
7. Stir cornstarch mixture into soup. Cover and bring back to boil.
8. Place oven rack 6-8 inches from broiler then preheat on broil.
9. Place 4 oven-safe soup bowls on baking sheet. Ladle soup into bowls.
10. Add to each, in this order. 1 rusk, 1 slice Swiss cheese, 1 slice provolone cheese and 1 teaspoon Parmesan, if using. 11. Broil 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly brown. Serve.
Turkey on Marbled Rye
1 large tomato
4 lettuce leaves
8 slices Bakery marble rye bread
4 slices Deli smoked turkey breast (8 ounces)
mayonnaise or mustard, to taste
1. Wash tomato and lettuce.
2. Slice tomato into 1/4-inch slices. Tear 4 leaves off lettuce. Set both aside.
3. Place 2 slices of bread on each serving plate.
4. Layer on 1 slice of bread as follows: 1 slice turkey, 1 slice tomato, 1 lettuce leaf.
5. Spread mayonnaise or mustard to taste on remaining slice of bread.
6. Assemble sandwiches and serve.
Calories 545kcal; Fat 18g; Cholesterol 79mg; Carbohydrate 59g; Fiber 6g; Protein 34g; Sodium 2553mg
Daily Values: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 31%; Calcium 55%; Iron 18%
Add items to your grocery list by clicking on the next to any item below.
The icon will change to to indicate that it has been added.
Utensils & Cookware
Add any leftover cheese to the sandwiches. The key to a good onion soup is to brown the onions as much as possible without burning.
Recipe Version soup0040