1 1/2 pounds sirloin tri-tip steaks
4 cloves fresh garlic
large zip-top bag
1/2 cup steakhouse marinade
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat grill. Cut steaks into 4 portions. Wash hands.
2. Crush garlic, using garlic press, into zip-top bag. Use knife to remove garlic from bottom of press. Add remaining ingredients to bag; seal bag and squeeze until mixture is well blended. Add steaks, using tongs; seal bag tightly and squeeze to evenly coat steaks. Let stand 10 minutes to marinate. (Or up to 2 hours in refrigerator for more intense flavor.)
3. Place steaks on grill, using tongs, and close lid (or cover loosely with foil). Grill 6–8 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 145°F (medium-rare). Use meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. (Grills vary widely; adjust time as needed to avoid over-cooking.) Let steaks stand 5–10 minutes before slicing or serving.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 410kcal; FAT 23g; CHOL 100mg; SODIUM 730mg; CARB 16g; FIBER 0g; PROTEIN 33g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 2%; CALC 2%; IRON 15%
Balsamic Onion Potatoes
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1/2 cup pre-diced fresh onions
1 (24-ounce) package refrigerated mashed potatoes
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat medium saucepan on medium-high 2–3 minutes.
2. Place 1 tablespoon butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add onions and cook 4–6 minutes, stirring often, or until well browned.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients (including 1 tablespoon butter). Reduce to medium and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thoroughly heated.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 260kcal; FAT 18g; CHOL 40mg; SODIUM 820mg; CARB 22g; FIBER 1g; PROTEIN 3g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 0%; CALC 6%; IRON 2%
Utensils & Cookware
- grill, grilling tongs
- medium saucepan
- garlic press, cooking spoon
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
Tri-tip steaks come from the bottom of the sirloin. They are flavorful, yet leaner than many other cuts. Be careful not to overcook these steaks.
Recipe Version gril0036