Layered Texas Bean and Chicken Salad
1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated cooked Southwestern chicken (or leftover chicken or turkey)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 large tomato
2 cups lettuce
4 bake-and-fill salad shells
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans
1 tablespoon pimentos
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
2 tablespoons jalapeņo peppers (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Allow salad shells to stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, assemble formers and prepare salad ingredients. Shape formers by folding each flap at the scored line. Insert tabs into slits and place open end down on baking sheet.
2. Drain and rinse beans. Place into medium mixing bowl.
3. Stir into beans: pimentos, salad dressing, chili powder, barbecue sauce and seasoned salt.
4. Rinse tomato and cilantro. Chop cilantro and add to beans. Dice tomato into 1/4-inch cubes and set aside.
5. Cut chicken into bite-size chunks and stir into beans. Chill until ready to serve.
6. Place salad shells over formers. Bake 6-10 minutes until golden. IMPORTANT: Watch closely to prevent over-browning. Allow shells to stand for 1-2 minutes then cool upright on wire rack. Shells will crisp upon standing.
7. Line each cooled salad shell with 1/2 cup lettuce. Add layers in this order: bean and chicken mixture, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream. Top with jalapeņo peppers and serve.
Calories 492kcal; Fat 23g; Cholesterol 55mg; Carbohydrate 42g; Fiber 8g; Protein 28g; Sodium 953mg
Daily Values: Vitamin A 21%; Vitamin C 3%; Calcium 17%; Iron 18%
Add items to your grocery list by clicking on the next to any item below.
The icon will change to to indicate that it has been added.
Utensils & Cookware
Recipe Version soup0017