1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
1 pound veal scaloppini
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1/3 cup pre-diced onions
1/2 cup flour
large zip-top bag
3/4 cup Marsala wine
3/4 cup chicken broth
1. Slice (rinsed) mushrooms into 1/4-inch slices. Cover veal with waxed paper; pound, using smooth side of meat mallet (or rolling pin), until about 1/4-inch thick. Wash hands.
2. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place 1 tablespoon butter in pan and swirl to coat. Stir in onions; cook 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes.
3. Place flour and veal in zip-top bag; seal tightly and shake to coat. Move mushroom and onion mixture to outer edge of pan; add 1 tablespoon butter. Place veal, using tongs, in center of pan (do not discard flour). Brown 1–2 minutes on each side, then remove from pan, leaving mushrooms and onions.
4. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons flour (from coating veal). Stir in wine and broth. Return veal to pan; reduce heat to low and simmer 6–8 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 564kcal; FAT 24g; CHOL 127mg;
SODIUM 365mg; CARB 56g; FIBER 7g; PROTEIN 28g;
VIT A 0%; VIT C 1%; CALC 2%; IRON 18%
Broccoli Fettuccine Alfredo
8 ounces fettuccine (1/2 box)
1 (16-ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
1 teaspoon pesto sauce
2 cups broccoli florets
1. Fill large saucepan 1/2 full of water. Cover and bring to boil on high heat for pasta.
2. Stir pasta into boiling water; boil 11–12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
3. Combine remaining ingredients in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender.
4. Drain pasta; return to saucepan. Toss with broccoli mixture and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 435kcal; FAT 20g; CHOL 65mg;
SODIUM 808mg; CARB 49g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 12g;
VIT A 36%; VIT C 67%; CALC 9%; IRON 12%
2 beefsteak tomatoes
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cut (rinsed) tomatoes into wedges; place in medium bowl.
2. Stir in dressing, cheese, salt and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 78kcal; FAT 6g; CHOL 5mg;
SODIUM 261mg; CARB 4g; FIBER <1g; PROTEIN 2g;
VIT A 9%; VIT C 19%; CALC 2%; IRON 2%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan
- large saucepan with lid
- microwave-safe bowl with lid
- mixing bowl, colander
- tongs, cooking spoons
- meat mallet or rolling pin
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
The secret to this dish is to have all ingredients staged and ready to go since the veal cooks so quickly.
Recipe Version beef0006