Hispanic Shredded Beef with Plantains and Peppers
2 lb beef flank steak
2 teaspoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (32-oz) box chicken broth (Mexican tortilla flavor or reduced sodium)
1 (8-oz) pouch roasted tomato Mexican cooking sauce
1 (20-oz) can pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
1 (16-oz) package frozen yuca (about 3 cups)
1 (11-oz) package frozen ripe plantains
1 (14-oz) package frozen tri-color peppers and onions blend
- Preheat large stockpot on medium¿high 2¿3 minutes. Coat both sides of steak with seasoning. Place oil in pan, then add steak; cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until well browned. Remove steak from pan and cut into quarters.
- Add to same pot: broth, cooking sauce, pineapple (including juice), and steak; cover and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover; simmer 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place yuca in microwave-safe dish and cover with water; cover dish and microwave on HIGH 10 minutes. Drain yuca; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Set plantains out to thaw. Add yuca to beef mixture; cook uncovered 30 more minutes or until beef separates easily with a fork and yuca is tender.
- Cut plantains into strips. Remove beef from pot and shred, using two forks. Add plantains and beef to yuca mixture and stir in pepper blend; simmer 3-4 minutes or until peppers and onions are tender. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 620kcal; FAT 24g; CHOL 65mg; SODIUM 900mg; CARB 72g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 33g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 60%; CALC 4%; IRON 25%
- Complete your meal with corn, crusty bread, and tres leche cake for dessert.
- This meal can be served over rice or in tortillas.
Recipe Version beef0104