Chicken Piccata With Couscous
1 3/4 cups water, divided
1 (5.6-ounce) box toasted pine nut couscous
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
large zip-top bag
4 chicken breast cutlets (about 1 lb)
1 tablespoon capers
1/2 lemon (for juice, rinsed)
- Place in medium saucepan, 1 1/2 cups of the water, contents of spice packet (from couscous), and 2 tablespoons of the butter; bring to a boil on high for couscous.
- Place flour and seasoned salt in zip-top bag; shake to mix. Add chicken (wash hands); seal tightly and shake to coat. Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2-3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter; swirl to coat. Add chicken (wash hands); cook 5 minutes, without turning, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, stir couscous into boiling water; cover, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Turn chicken. Stir in capers, juice of one-half lemon (about 1 tablespoon), remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and remaining 1/4 cup water. Cook 2-3 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken and internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F. Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Fluff couscous with fork and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 400kcal; FAT 17g; CHOL 105mg; SODIUM 940mg; CARB 30g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 32g; VIT A 10%; VIT C 8%; CALC 2%; IRON 8%
1 pound fresh asparagus spears (rinsed)
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cut 1 inch from tough root end of asparagus spears and discard. To do this quickly, group half the spears together, align ends, and slice with sharp knife. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Place in microwave-safe bowl with water.
- Cover and microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes, stirring once, or until desired tenderness. Drain asparagus; stir in butter and seasoned salt. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 50kcal; FAT 3g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 210mg; CARB 4g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 20%; VIT C 10%; CALC 2%; IRON 15%
Utensils & Cookware
- large sauté pan
- medium saucepan with lid
- microwave-safe bowl with lid
- tongs, cooking spoons
- meat thermometer
- knife and cutting board
- measuring utensils
The Chicken Piccata may also be served over angel hair pasta for a more traditional presentation.
Recipe Version poul0003