Salmon With Tomato-Onion Relish
zest/juice of 1 lemon
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
6 plum tomatoes
1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
4 salmon fillets, skin removed (1 1/2 lb)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Zest/grate lemon peel (no white; 1 teaspoon); squeeze lemon for juice (2 tablespoons).
- Slice onions and garlic. Cut tomatoes into quarters, then cut quarters into thin strips. Chop cilantro.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season fish with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Place 1 tablespoon oil in pan; cook 1–2 minutes on each side or until seared and browned. Remove salmon from pan; cover loosely and set aside.
- Place remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onions, garlic, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in pan; cook 3–4 minutes or until onions have softened and caramelized slightly.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add cumin, coriander, and pepper flakes; cook 1 more minute or until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; return salmon to pan. Add broth and tomatoes; simmer 3–4 minutes or until liquid has reduced by about one-half and salmon is 145°F. Remove pan from heat; stir in lemon juice, zest, and cilantro. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 440kcal; FAT 26g; CHOL 95mg; SODIUM 610mg; CARB 13g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 36g; VIT A 20%; VIT C 45%; CALC 6%; IRON 8%
1 cup yellow cornmeal
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Combine cornmeal, broth, salt, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH 8–10 minutes, whisking every 3 minutes, or until polenta has thickened.
- Stir in goat cheese and serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 160kcal; FAT 3.5g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 660mg; CARB 23g; FIBER 2g; PROTEIN 5g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 0%; CALC 2%; IRON 10%
- Complete your meal with fresh salad blend, potato rolls, and chocolate cake for dessert.
- Parmesan cheese would be a great substitute for goat cheese in the polenta.
Recipe Version seaf0151