Mango-Mojo Pork With Cabbage
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Juice of 2 oranges
1 1/2 lb boneless country-style pork ribs
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons sazón with coriander & annatto
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large ripe mango
Juice of 2 limes
1 (10-oz) bag shredded cabbage
- Slice onion and garlic. Squeeze oranges for juice (1 cup).
- Cut pork into bite-size pieces (wash hands).
- Combine cumin, sazón, allspice, pepper, garlic, and 1/3 cup orange juice to form a paste. Toss pork and onions in mixture. Let stand 5–10 minutes (or overnight) to marinate.
- Preheat large stock pot on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add pork (in batches); cook 1–2 minutes on each side until browned. Remove; repeat with remaining pork.
- Reduce heat to low. Add pork, any remaining marinade (with onions), and remaining 2/3 cup orange juice and cover; simmer 1–1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender.
- Peel mango; cut fruit into chunks. Squeeze limes for juice (2 tablespoons). Remove pan from heat; stir in mango and lime juice. Serve pork over cabbage. (Makes 6 servings.)
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 440kcal; FAT 25g; CHOL 115mg; SODIUM 310mg; CARB 21g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 32g; VIT A 15%; VIT C 110%; CALC 10%; IRON 15%
6 cups water
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 medium chayote squash, peeled and sliced
1/2 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 (14-oz) can hearts of palm, sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Juice of 3 limes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
- Place water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan; bring to a boil on high.
- Peel chayote (discard seed); cut chayote into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Slice onion and palm hearts. Chop cilantro and garlic. Squeeze limes for juice (1/4 cup).
- Add chayote to boiling water; cook 2–3 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Whisk in medium bowl: lime juice, garlic, onions, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and oil until blended. Stir in chayote; let stand 3–4 minutes, stirring often, to cool.
- Stir in palm hearts and cilantro. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 160kcal; FAT 14g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 410mg; CARB 8g; FIBER 4g; PROTEIN 2g; VIT A 2%; VIT C 20%; CALC 8%; IRON 8%
- Complete your meal with fresh pineapple, whole wheat bread, and carrot cake for dessert.
- The pork mixture can be served in soft tortillas.
- You can also simmer the pork in a slow cooker on low for 3–4 hours.
Recipe Version pork0080