Mediterranean Buffalo Burgers
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 sun-dried tomato halves in oil, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons agave nectar (or honey)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 lb ground buffalo
1 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
4 whole wheat thin sandwich buns
2 cups baby arugula leaves
- Preheat grill (or grill pan).
- Slice one-half each cucumber and onion (about 1 cup each).
- Chop tomatoes (about 3 tablespoons).
- Combine in small bowl, rice vinegar, agave nectar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir in cucumber and onions and set aside.
- Combine meat, herb seasoning, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; form into 4 patties. Place meat in grill pan (or on grill); grill 2–3 minutes on each side or until 160°F. Combine feta and tomatoes until blended; divide over top of patties then remove from heat.
- Toast buns lightly. Assemble burgers in this order: bun, arugula leaves, cucumber mixture, burger, more cucumbers (optional), and top of bun. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 310kcal; FAT 5g; CHOL 95mg; SODIUM 500mg; CARB 28g; FIBER 6g; PROTEIN 40g; VIT A 8%; VIT C 8%; CALC 10%; IRON 30%
Portabella Herb Fries
12 oz pre-sliced portabella mushrooms
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup egg whites)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Large zip-top bag, optional
1/4 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Discard stems and gills (dark brown layers) from mushrooms.
- Whisk eggs until frothy; place in shallow bowl. Combine bread crumbs and cheese in zip-top bag (or shallow bowl).
- Place 3–4 mushrooms into eggs, turning to coat both sides. Dip or toss mushrooms with bread crumbs until evenly coated; place in single layer on pan. Repeat with all mushrooms. Coat mushrooms with spray; season with herb seasoning. Bake 10 minutes.
- Turn mushrooms; bake 5–7 more minutes or until tender and golden. May be served with ranch or other dipping sauce.
CALORIES (per 1/4 recipe) 110kcal; FAT 1.5g; CHOL 0mg; SODIUM 90mg; CARB 18g; FIBER 3g; PROTEIN 7g; VIT A 0%; VIT C 4%; CALC 4%; IRON 10%
- Complete your meal with fresh cut fruit and chocolate pudding for dessert
- This recipe can easily be made with ground beef or ground turkey.
Recipe Version gril0046